Friday, August 26, 2005

Weird Windows XP

Over the past few days, I was facing peculiar problems browsing the Internet via my new HP Notebook. Peculiar because several sites like Blogger, Cricinfo, Yahoo Mail refused to load at various times. And did load on other occasions. Every time it seemed it was some site or the other that caused problems and I could find no underlying pattern. All this while MSN and Yahoo Messengers performed to perfection.

I tried the usual fixes. Went through two vain attempts of troubleshooting the problem. My brother had already disabled the firewalls so I was sure that that was not what was causing the problems. When I looked up on the Internet today, someone suggested that I should check Internet Explorer in the Exceptions to Windows Firewall List. Though it should not have made a difference, the firewall already being disabled, I went ahead and did it anyway. Lo and behold, here I am comfortably able to access all the above mentioned sites and writing to you all via one of them !!

Really weird. I wonder if this is just another manifestation of random behavior of software in general or Windows XP in particular and if in ten hours' time Im frustrated by the same old problems again. Or is this really a bug in Windows XP ?? My friends in Microsoft, care to help me out ??

No comments: