Sunday, September 17, 2006

Absolutely NOTHING Justifies Violation Of Freedom

Here, Amit Varma gives his opinions on the incident in which a Mumbai blogger was "assaulted, abused and kicked out" of a cinema hall in Mumbai because he did not stand during the playing of the national anthem.

I must say like most times I agree. Whether or not to stand up while the national anthem is played is a matter of personal choice and while I would ALWAYS stand I have NO right to FORCE others to do the same. Convince, yes, force, NO.

If someone refuses to stand it is up to you to form your opinions of that person. Personally that would concern me just a bit, even offend me, but since that in no way violates any of my freedoms I have no right to use force whatsoever.

In this regard the comparison he makes to the Indian lawyer being evicted out of a first class compartment in South Africa is extremely pertinent.

8 comments:

Wanderer said...

A person who feel ashamed for his own country is a beast residing in the human..It is rightly said "Give respect to get respect"

Gaurav said...

Wanderer, I do not get what you are trying to say.

Wanderer said...

You look like a seasoned blogger..
I expect you to understand the subtleties of comments too...btw no pun intended..

Gaurav said...

First of all your comment is grammatically incorrect. Secondly I do not find anywhere in my post mention of a person being ashamed "for" (the correct word here should be "of") his country. What is the significance then ?

Wanderer said...

Thanks for pointing out my mistake..guess it was a typo..Anyway,we both had a different perception about it...lets not get into it..

Wanderer said...

Keep blogging! and don't mind the small tiffs that take place here..its the part of writing..

Gaurav said...

Of course ! Why would you think I'd mind ?

Anonymous said...

its mentioned in our constitution that its one's duty respect all the national symbols
if the said person wants to enjoy all the rights this country offers, then he/she should learn to follow his duties as well