Saturday, January 22, 2005

Freedom ??

www.dictionary.com gives the following meanings:
Freedom : The capacity to exercise choice.
Independence: Freedom from the influence, guidance, or control of another or others; self-reliance

The 2 ideas are closely interrelated and regarded as fundamental principles in modern civilization. Sometimes, however I can't help wondering whether these are indeed the great benevolent rights they are made out to be. Here I am talking about freedom at a personal level where an individual chooses the course of his life : what career path he wishes to follow, what goals he wishes to achieve, where he intends to live etc. not at the level of nations and governments and all that.

Several times I think: Wouldn't it be great to have some guardian angel looking over me and making all my decisions ? An angel whom I trust and who has nothing but my own personal benefit at heart ?? Yes, parents play this role generally during childhood but wouldn't it be wonderful to have some such angel throughout one's life ??

The idea is - yes, I know life is beautiful and I want to enjoy it - I know I will enjoy it no matter what I choose to do if I intend to enjoy it - but what I do not need is this stress of all the decision-making and exploring of options that seems to sap up energy and does little to clear the picture.

Of course many people will rightly consider these ideas as childish and those of one looking to shirk responsibility - part of myself agrees with that - but I can't help dreaming ...




1 comment:

Atul said...

I don't know if this is too "out there"...but the blog immediately reminds me of The Matrix. The problem is of choice... whether you take the help of the angel (the Matrix?) or you make up your own mind :) Take the red pill and see how deep the rabbit-hole goes :)

But you are right though...I am as confused as anyone when it comes to taking decisions :(