Saturday, January 29, 2005

Main Albela ...Main Deewana ...

When Serena Williams won the Australian Open 2005, I felt happy for her. Here is a really talented tennis player - one who has all the shots in the book, who has plenty of poise to go with power and most importantly a fighting spirit that can enable her to come back from any point in the match. One such match was the semi-final against Maria Sharapova.

Sharapova had beaten Serena in the finals at Wimbledon and the Tour Championships last year. Revenge was always going to be a motivating factor in this match. No doubt Saharapova is a talented young player - besides being sexy - but clearly she has a lot to prove, lot to conquer if she has to attain Serena's level or think about crossing it.

This took me back to the Wimbledon final last year where I stood alone supporting Serena while all my friends rooted madly for the Russian blonde. This is not the only time I have stood alone against the rest. Also in that Wimbledon, most of my friends supported Roddick simply because he was the underdog, while I backed Federer simply because he was a better player. Throughout the early and mid-nineties it was a fashion in my family to oppose Steffi Graf because she was so good, for me Steffi was the reason I started watching tennis.

This trait of mine in which I root for someone against the group extends to beyond tennis. I was one of the few who saw the talent and ability of Rahul Dravid right at the time of the 1996 tour of England, while my friends kept abusing him for being excessively slow - one went on to suggest that Vikram Rathore (who was also an upcoming player at that time and has now retired in peace) was a much better player than him !!!!

When it comes to cinema, the story is pretty similar. While Shahrukh-bashing is a passion all around me, I adore the man and appreciate how he has managed to rule the industry for 15 years. So also when my friends are mesmerised by the perfect, graceful Aishwarya Rai I prefer the earthy, exuberant Rani Mukherjee and Preity Zinta.

That's just me - different and weird (as people put it.)

1 comment:

M said...

But then, what about joining the bandwagon of "tendulkar-bashing"? u certainly do that :-p
neways purpose of this comment is to show an article u shud read (and all those who have started criticizing the little master...)
http://autofeed.msn.co.in/pandorav3/output/Cricket/168a3e83-dc45-425f-81d3-0b3dcebefc26.aspx