Saturday, March 26, 2005

Destiny

I try hard not to believe in destiny. I figure one should be willing and able to shape his own life. At least after reading Ayn Rand I do. But sometimes it just happens to hit you and you keep marvelling at its weird ways.

Take last evening for instance. I had done practically nothing of value the whole day. I was going to spend the night watching the India-Pakistan game. So I figured, I'd put the evening to use by doing some good work. Accordingly, I refused my friend's invitation to a movie (Swades) which, I having seen twice already was not that difficult; at the same time, being such a good movie, I would not have minded seeing it all over.

But I put my foot down. And I bid him good-bye at the door. But as luck would have it, the frustrating bus that had made me wait 10 minutes in the cold just the day before, did not allow a single minute of my delay. I had no option but to return to the movie. (Admittedly I did have the option of walking back home, but naah !! Too cold) And once I am in a movie it takes something really drastic that can pull me out early - something like "Kyon, Ho Gaya Na !" for instance.

Anyway, at the end of it, my friend's family offered me a lift and came up with an even more brilliant idea of inviting me to dinner. I was going to ponder about dinner once I came home anyway. Who am I to say "No" to a chance of Puran Poli, Kheer and Varan Bhat on Holi Day ?? That was one amazing dinner. And I was destined to have it.

On the flip side, it made me so drowsy (and the whole evening tired) that I came home and fairly instantaneously jumped into bed - no cricket for me tonight - missing a Sehwag 200 in the process - well that's destiny for you.

1 comment:

Atul said...

That's about as much as you could have missed in the match... His Highness the Maharaja of Indian Cricket helped himself to another one of his precious runs, Tendulkar flattered to deceive and Dravid stuck to his reputation at Bangalore. There has been some resistance from the lower order and we are on course for a dull draw.