Monday, March 14, 2005

Kahin Door Jab Din Dhal Jaaye ...

I've been meaning to write this for quite some time now. But often something else came up. Or at times, I forgot. Today I have nothing else to write - hence here goes.

Those of you who have stayed in a place 12 hours off from home (like I am doing here) might be able to understand me better. In the inital days particularly, it is a weird sort of feeling. And I am not talking just about the jetlag. It is as if when you are going to sleep in the night you realise that somewhere 180 degrees on the other side of the globe people will be waking up - your friends will be out in the gym working out (missing you hopefully, well who knows ??). Your mom will be making amtee bhat but proportionately less than she used to because your plate is going to be empty.

And then when you are in the middle of work and something is not going right and you are sitting there frustrated staring at the computer screen, suddenly you remeber that yes ... on the other side of the globe the evening will be gently sliding into the night - and your friends will be out there partying - but your glass will be empty - hopefully they will remember that - and your ajjee and mavshi and cousins will be coming home - of course knowing that you are not going to be there ...

It may sound weird but what led me to think so deeply on this actually was a cricket match - I had gone to college late at night to watch it ( we don't have cable net at home) and since the match started at 2.30 in the afternoon India time, it was early morning here. And by lunch time when the shadows could be seen across the Eden Gardens on the screen, a beautiful pink glow could be seen outside the windows of the lab. At that time, I could really begin to see this whole concept of night following day and day night "in a new light" - know what I mean ?? (Pun not intended)

And if the earlier parts of this post led you to believe that this is some sort of sentimental stuff, it is not really. It is more of an inspirational post because you see - when I am stuck at work and having problems, I can find solace in the fact that "Kahin door din dhal raha hoga" - and in the beautiful evening, people (people I care about) will be enjoying, partying and having fun. While when I am worried at night, (maybe sleepless due to tension, exams and work) I can always find heart in the fact that this night isn't going to last forever because some 1800 kms along the radius of the globe it is already a brilliant, glorious morning - a fresh start

No comments: